This article covers the steps to pull reports on clocked hours and travel time/distance for JM accounts using Janitorial Manager's timekeeping feature.
This article assumes you have set up the timekeeper according to the directions on the Timekeeping with Janitorial Manager article of the help desk.
Recommended Payroll Habit
Check and Approve Pending Punches Regularly
When you go to perform payroll duties, you want to make sure you have NO pending time punches. The best way to move forward is through a regular habit of checking pending punches.
We recommend the first thing your payroll manager does in the morning is to double check the previous day's punches. The pending punches will be more frequent in the beginning, but they will decrease as your employees get comfortable with using the clock-in and clock-out options.
Here is how to check your account for pending time punches:
- Go to Reports > Time > Timecard
- Click the Show Pending checkbox
- Pending punches will be RED
- Choose a punch to update and click Edit Entry in the actions column
- Make any adjustments if needed
- Click Update and Approve
What if the red, pending clock-in and clock-out times match the employee's scheduled shift?
You can get more information on a pending time punch:
- Go to Reports > Time > Clock-In/Clock-Out
- Find the entry you want to review by double-checking the date range, employee, location, Payroll, and other appropriate filter options at the top of the report.
This will show the type of punch that was made, as well as if the punch was done outside the approved perimeter for that location.
It's time to pull Payroll - What do I do?
To prepare to run payroll, you will need to Approve Pending time punches (above), Review the In Between Travel Report, then process payroll.
To Review the In Between Travel Report:
- After all pending punches are approved as instructed above, Go to Reports > Time > In Between Travel Report and click the Refresh Travel Detail Button (This updates the travel time on Payroll report)
- Choose the appropriate pay period in the Payroll dropdown
- Review the Travel Detail and Travel Summary by clicking the different radio buttons and make adjustments if needed.
- Travel Detail - Individual entries for travel distance and time
- Travel Summary - Total Payable distance and time
- Travel time will appear in the Employee Payroll Report
To Pull Payroll:
- Process Payroll by going to the Settings button > Payroll > Manage Payroll
- Choose the active payroll window and click the Gear icon in the Action column to process payroll
- This process takes all of the time punches and travel time data and pushes them into two reports: Employee Payroll and Employee Payroll Summary
- Go to Reports > Time > Employee Payroll AND/OR Employee Payroll Summary to acquire payroll data
- Employee Payroll - Highly Detailed PDF exportable report shares specific shifts the employees work at each location along with overtime calculations
- Employee Payroll Summary - Exports summary content to Spreadsheet for a more condensed set of time and distance totals
- Take the Payroll data to your designated payment or accounting software to pay your employees.
How to Make Changes AFTER Payroll has been processed
If you need to make changes after a payroll cycle has been processed:
- In Settings > Payroll > Manage Payroll, click the Rollback Payroll button. This will open the pay cycle back up and allow for additional changes to go in (i.e. adding or changing a time punch).
- Once changes have been made, go back to Manage Payroll and re-process the payroll cycle by clicking the gear icon. We recommend also locking the payroll cycle at this point by clicking the lock icon.
How To Import Time Punches from a Spreadsheet
- Go to Reports > Time > Timecard
- Click the "Import Instructions" link (Far right side of the screen) to download the spreadsheet template titled "TimeCard Import Template"
- Fill out the spreadsheet
To Fill out the Spreadsheet
- Locate your Employee_IDs under Employees > Manage Employees
- Click on the edit pencil
- If you have not created employee Ref ID's, you will need to create them
- The employee Ref. Id is not a mandatory field and may not have data if you haven’t previously used the employee IDs. There is no restriction on the digits so you can create employee ID information for each employee from scratch as you prefer. (You could enter 1, 2, 3, etc. if you so choose, or use another significant number system)
- The location must identically match the location name in JM, including spacing. (Find location names under Customers > Manage Locations)
- The In Time/Out Time should be in military time.
- SAVE your file
Go back to the Time Card Report window and click the Generic Import button
Navigate to the saved spreadsheet and open it
Upon upload, the system will generate another spreadsheet. If any cells are highlighted red, there is an error, if green, it was successfully imported.
Location Rounding Options
There are two ways to round shifts within your JM Timekeeping. You may consistently round all hours at a specific location, and you may round selectively by editing specific shifts before you run payroll.
To consistently round hours for a specific location
- In Settings > Manage Account > Timekeeper tab, turn on the switch for Location Rounding. This will enable rounding as an option for all locations.
- To enable rounding for a location, open a location under Customers > Manage Location. Click the Rounding Enabled checkbox. This will display fields to allow for rounding up or down.
- The fields will allow you to set how many hours to round up to and round down to.
To use selective rounding
- Settings > Payroll > Rounding.
- Use the drop-down filters at the top of the page to narrow your displayed punches to the ones you wish to round (Pay close attention to which payroll period you choose)
- Use the checkboxes on the left side of the table to select the shifts you wish to round
- Enter the values in the Round Down and Round Up fields
- Click the process button to apply the rounded values to the selected shifts
- After rounding, you will need to process payroll to apply the rounded values you updated into the reports